I'm really disappointed. Training was beginning to go really well and I was cautiously optimistic that I might complete the challenge (5k in 2 hours). I will definitely re-enter this event or a similar one next year.
And when I do, I'll have some experience and tips under my belt:
- three months is enough time to train, but only if I stick to three sessions every week from the start
- my front crawl technique needs some work so kick board and leg buoy workouts need to be in the training every week
- open water training sessions take much more thought and planning than I expected
- breathing every three (or four or five) strokes is good and needs to be practised more
- swimming fast is hard so I need to add speedy lengths in more often
I also need to prepare for the fact that my hair will need to be tied up most of the time (because I won't ever have the energy to blow dry it) and my nails will be permanently breaking after being soaked so much.
In the meantime, I have halved my Fitbit step count and am forcing myself to sit down as much as possible. It feels odd but I'm guessing I'll get used to being sedentary and lazy quite quickly!