Number One: my personal, professional running session
As you probably remember, my birthday gift from my sister was 3 sessions with a running coach. So last Friday I dressed up in my best (least tramp-like) running gear and headed off to meet him. I was pretty nervous, but Richard was very friendly and put me at ease. Having said that, it is an odd experience running whilst someone is watching you!
The outcome of our 90 min session was:
- some brief warm-up activities for me to do before I run (dynamic stretches to prepare the muscles)
- balance exercises to strengthen my feet/ankles to support me better
- an entirely new way of running! - he is moving me away from heel striking, which involves a whole different set of movements and engaging different muscles (hamstrings and glutes instead of just my quads)
- a couple of exercises to help active and strengthen my hamstrings and quads
- advice on correct arm movement
- some cool down stretches
It was really interesting and useful - I just have to fit in some running over the next 2-3 weeks before my next "appointment".
Coming up... my second exciting new activity!